addresses a specific issue or situation. It only lasts until the issue has been resolved and is not intended to be ongoing. It is independent of any other service whether private, statutory or voluntary.
An advocate will always encourage a person to speak for themselves wherever this is possible; when this is not possible, advocates try to identify the wishes of the person concerned and represent these interests with determination and persistence.
Issues can include:
- housing – wanting to move/stay/live independently
- support – accessing support/changing provider
- child protection cases
- personal finances
- involvement with the legal system
- access to appropriate health care
- access to social and community pursuits